Wednesday 16 April 2014

Hummingbird Feeder

So I wanted a hummingbird feeder.  We have a lot of hummingbirds around our house and watching them is a fascination for me.  I have done some photography of them as well.  I could buy one of the standard feeders but I like to create things and I like to reuse items from other places.  I also do not like the idea of using plastic.  I ended up at a thrift store and bought a red glass bottle and a stainless water bottle.  They both have about the same size opening so I figured that I could seal them together some how.  I also went to a craft store and bought some cheap artificial red flowers.
I drilled four holes in the glass and siliconed the red flowers over the holes.  I drilled a hole in the water bottle cap and put a copper tube through to keep the nectar from overflowing out the holes.  I sealed it with a rubber washer.  The problem that I had was attaching the top and bottom pieces.  As is true to almost all of the things that I make there is a rubber wheel from the photocopier holding the top and bottom together.  It is very easy to refill, you would just turn it upside down and unscrew the water bottle.  The perch and top holder are made from computer fan guards.  One advantage that I have found with this feeder is that it is quite bottom heavy so it does not sway much in the wind.  All in all I really like this feeder and the hummingbirds seem to like it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment