Thursday 21 May 2015

Upcycled Beach Chair



 So, it was the day before Mothers Day.  My wife had taken the kids out for the day and I had a chance to catch up on some things.  I was looking at the wood that I have sitting in the garage and remembered that I had seen an old wooden beach chair that a friend had and wanted to copy it.  I had some cherry wood that has been sitting around that I obtained from the local wood shops scrap pile and it looked like it might be just enough.  I did not really have any plans written down but I started to build it anyways.  I wanted to make it a hammock type chair but wanted it small enough to be portable.  I glued it with water proof glue and assembled it with stainless screws.  It has been oiled with teak oil.  The seat was sewn with some cloth that I had around.  It is sturdy, and comfortable.  The way that it is built means that the fabric needs to be removable in order for the chair to fold up.  I made some cutouts so that this was possible using dowels to support the weight of the person sitting in the chair.  I quite like this chair and am tempted to build more but would need to purchase some wood.  Anyways, my wife has a new beach chair for mothers day and I have a happy wife.  All is good in the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment